Most enclosed workplaces in Victoria became smokefree on 1st March 2006. Licensed premises and outdoor dining or drinking ares (where there is a roof in place and walls that cover more than 75% of the total wall area) became smokefree on 1st July 2007.
For details about the smokefree legislation visit the Victorian Government's tobacco reforms website.
Tobacco smoking contributes to more deaths and hospitalisations than alcohol and illicit drug use combined. Smokers are also 1.3 times more likely to be absent from work than non-smokers. Smoking is a slow way to die; the strain put on your body by smoking often causes years of suffering. Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals; at least 43 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer.
Given these alarming statistics, anyone responsible for the health and safety of employees needs to consider tobacco control in the workplace and how to support workers with quit attempts. This means taking action. Quit Victoria can support your workplace by providing:
- General information on how to make your workplace totally smokefree, phone Quit Victoria on 9663 7777.
- Information about workplace programs. To book a workplace program with Quit please complete this booking form
- Quit Victoria posters and educational material. Download resource order form [PDF 213 kb]
- Web-based quitting support for staff with The Quit Coach
- The Quitline 13 7848 for staff who require quitting support.