Relax, take a deep breath, let's ease into quitting.
If you’re like most smokers, smoking is a huge part of your life. It’s common to feel nervous about giving it away. But just being on this site means you’re braver than you might think and have the ability to do it.
Here are some ideas to ease you into quitting:
- Practise quitting for a day to get a feel for what it’s like
- Give yourself time to prepare: set a quit date for a week away
- Find a quitting buddy or someone you can quit with
- Talk to your GP about your options – quitting products like patches, gum or quitting medication might help ease the stress
- Call Quitline or request a callback – they can offer support and can talk to you about what to expect
5 reasons why you can do this
- Just being here means you’re considering quitting smoking. It shows real strength of character to take this first step.
- You don’t have to do it alone – our Quit Specialists can help you all the way along or you can build a plan online.
- You don’t have to rely on willpower. We recommend using Quitline with either a nicotine replacement therapy product or a quitting medication to help with nicotine withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
- Other smokers have done it and so can you – while your quitting story will be unique, it’s likely others will have struggled with some of challenges you’ll face.
- Because you have a good reason. Whether for it’s financial, health or family reasons, this reason is unlikely to go away, so keep it in your mind whenever you need a motivation boost.
Give your self the best chance of quitting by using nicotine replacement therapy. Learn more here
Nicotine replacement therapy: Questions answered
Once you've decided to quit, the next move can be a bit overwhelming. There are heaps of options and methods out there. How do you decide what's best? And what do all the terms and acronyms mean? We're here to clear things up.
Nicotine replacement therapy products: quick tips
All your queries answered with our quick guide to using nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products.
Mythbusting: "Quitting smoking is expensive if you’re using nicotine replacement products"
We know that smoking is expensive, but what about quitting?
Explore other support options
There are a range of support options available to help you quit.
Free Quit Support
Calling the Quitline increases your chance of quitting successfully.
Quit Specialists are trained to listen carefully to you to help meet your needs.