In 2015-16, smoking cost the Victorian economy approximately $3.7 billion in tangible costs and $5.8 billion in intangible costs associated with premature deaths. Approximately $2.7 billion per annum of the tangible cost is being borne by Victoria’s business sector.
A projected 450,000 Victorians who currently smoke will die prematurely if they continue to smoke long-term. The prevalence of adults smoking each day was 13.5% in 2014-15. Quit Victoria believe it’s possible to reduce the daily smoking prevalence to 5% by 2025.
What are the benefits of hitting this target?
- Each of Victoria’s current smokers who
quit would have an extra $1000-$7000 available each year of their lives to
spend in the Victorian economy.
- A total saving of $4 billion in
tangible social costs from 2017–2025.
- The costs and misery of diseases caused by tobacco – currently 8% of the total disease in Victoria would be prevented immediately
Help make Victoria one of the first jurisdictions in the world to reach 5%. It’s time to end the toll of tobacco on our community and our State.
- Download the Target 2025 vision statement here.
- Download infographics to share across social media here.
- Download our communications toolkit to promote the campaign here.
- Download our media release here.