As the new year begins, we often make resolutions. If you’ve decided to ditch the smokes, we have some tips to help you stay smokefree.
At Quit Victoria, we understand quitting can be difficult, especially when smoking is part of your day-to-day routine.
However, with cravings often only lasting a few minutes, small changes can go a long way.
That’s why we have six handy tips that you can use throughout the day to ensure you stick to your New Year’s resolution and stay on track.
- Change your breakfast: If your breakfast coincides with a coffee and a cigarette, try to introduce some new breakfast options. If you’re unsure about what to have, LiveLighter has plenty of delicious, healthy recipes!
- Speaking of coffee, why not try a new drink? If coffee reminds you of the urge to smoke, you could use this as an opportunity to switch to herbal tea or a caffeine-free drink.
- Optimise your breaks: Whether you’re on your lunch break or finishing a task at home, why not swap your cigarette breaks with an activity. Try some brain games or read up on something new.
- Get moving: Beat the cravings and make the most of the new health benefits you’ve gained from quitting. Incorporating exercise into your routine is a great way to stay on a smokefree path, so try going for a walk or do a home workout.
- Relax: Have you tried meditation or mindfulness to combat cravings? You can curb the urge to smoke by adding some breathing exercises into your routine, or you can find other distraction tips here.
- Plan ahead: If you know you’ll be craving a cigarette at a certain time, place or in a situation, prepare and change up your routine. Try a fast-acting form of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) like mouth spray, gum, lozenge or inhaler a few minutes before you think a craving may hit. Combination therapy – using patches with a fast-acting NRT product – is one of the most effective quitting methods.
And remember, Quitline is always here to help. Speak to one of our friendly and qualified Quitline counsellors on 13 7848 or you can request a Quitline callback.
If you found this helpful, check out more of our tips and tactics.
Explore other support options
There are a range of support options available to help you quit.
Free Quit Support
Calling the Quitline increases your chance of quitting successfully.
Quit Specialists are trained to listen carefully to you to help meet your needs.