If you’re thinking about quitting or are ready to go smokefree, the Quitline is a great place to start.
If you're wondering how the Quitline operates, you're not alone. Read below so you have a good idea of what to expect when you call for the first time.
People who call the Quitline are more likely to quit for good.
Our team of Quit Specialists have the experience, knowledge and resources to help you to get started and stay on track.
They can help you prepare a quit plan and develop strategies to overcome cravings, triggers and other common quitting challenges.
They can also tell you about nicotine replacement therapy products and quitting medications and offer advice on how to use them.
What happens when you call the Quitline?
Common questions about the Quitline
- Who will be on the other end of the line? Our Quit specialists are qualified counsellors who have years of experience. Quit Specialists understand that quitting is a complex process and that most people will have a number of goes at quitting before they quit for good. Quit Specialists are trained to listen carefully.
- How long can I talk to them for? Many people call Quitline with a quick query, but a typical first call to Quitline takes around 10–20 minutes.
- What will they want to know? Your call is confidential. This means you don't have to give your name if you don't want to. Quit specialists will generally ask about your smoking history, your motivation to quit, an understanding of your smoking based on nicotine addiction, your habit, and the stress side of smoking. An essential part of the first Quitline call is to set up a plan for quitting that suits you. Quit Specialists can also give advice about the different quitting methods and products. Quit Specialists are trained to help you to explore your desire to quit and to deepen it. Quitline can also offer a wide range of helpful resources.
- Do I have to be currently trying to quit to talk to them? Not at all. If you’re a current smoker thinking about your options or a family member looking for advice on how to help a loved one, Quitline is there for you.
- Can I speak to the same Quit specialist again? Unfortunately due to Quit Specialists’ working shifts it is difficult for us to allocate you a particular Quit Specialist. Talking to different Quit Specialists means getting a range of different tips.
- When is Quitline open? The Quitline is open from 8:00am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Does it cost anything to call? The cost of a local call (normal charges apply from a mobile phone). But you can also ask us to call you. Request a Quitline callback.
- How well does Quitline counselling work? Quitline is regularly reviewed for effectiveness. Studies show that Quitline greatly increases your chance of quitting and that callers find Quitline really helpful.