We all have bad days (and bad weeks). If you've had a cigarette, it's not over. Calling Quitline can help make your quitting story a quit-for-good story
If you’ve had a cigarette or a puff: don’t panic. Give Quitline a call.
Our Quit Specialists have the experience, knowledge and resources to help you get back on track. They can help you to figure out what caused your slip-up and to chat to you about strategies to stop it happening again.
They can chat to you about your motivation to quit: Have these reasons changed? Are they still strong enough to motivate you to stay quit? What's the one reason that really tugs on your heart strings?
People who call the Quitline are more likely to stay quit.
Our Quit Specialists can help you develop strategies to overcome cravings. They can advise you on nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products (patches, mouth spray, gum, lozenge, inhalator) or quitting medications (Champix/varenicline, Zyban/bupropion) including how to use them.
Research has shown that the most effective way to quit smoking is to use Quitline plus either nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) or quitting medication. If you choose NRT, we recommend what's called combination therapy: patches plus a fast-acting product like lozenge, gum or mouth spray.
Call the Quitline on 13 7848 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, or request a callback. You can also ask to speak to an Aboriginal Quit Specialist.
Common questions about Quitline
- Who will be on the other end of the line? Our Quit specialists are qualified counsellors who have many years of experience. Quit Specialists understand that quitting is a complex process and that most people will have a number of goes at quitting before they quit for good. Quit Specialists are trained to listen carefully.
- How long can I talk to them for? Many people call Quitline with a quick question, but a typical first call to Quitline takes around 10–20 minutes.
- What will they want to know? Your call is confidential. This means you don't have to give your name if you don't want to. On a first Quitline call, you’re likely to discuss your smoking history, how many cigarettes you smoke and your typical smoking habits. An essential part of the first Quitline call is to set up a plan for quitting that suits you. Quit Specialists can give advice about the different quitting methods and products. Quit Specialists are trained to help you to explore your desire to quit and to deepen it. Quitline can also send you a wide range of resources that might be helpful.
- Do I have to be currently trying to quit to talk to them? Not at all. If you’re a current smoker thinking about your options, or a family member looking for advice on how to help a loved one, Quitline is there for you.
- Can I speak to the same Quit specialist again? Unfortunately due to Quit Specialists’ working shifts it is difficult for us to pair you with a particular Quit Specialist. Quit Specialists all have the same training, and talking to different Quit Specialists provides you with lots of different tips.
- When is Quitline open? The Quitline is open from 8:00am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Does it cost anything to call? Just the cost of a local call (normal charges apply from a mobile phone). But you can also request a Quitline callback.
- How well does Quitline work? Quitline is regularly reviewed for effectiveness. Studies show that Quitline greatly increases your chance of quitting and that callers find Quitline really helpful.
Give us a call
- If you are deaf or have hearing or speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service (NRS) to access the Quitline.
- TTY users phone 13 3677 and ask for 13 78 48.
- Speak & Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 78 48.
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 13 78 48.
- For more information about NRS see www.relayservice.com.au
Explore other support options
There are a range of support options available to help you quit.
Free Quit Support
Calling the Quitline increases your chance of quitting successfully.
Quit Specialists are trained to listen carefully to you to help meet your needs.